“The Eyes are the window to your soul”
… people have been trying to decode ever glitter, wrinkle, squint, and gaze that passes from those orbs. When I read a description that catches my attention, I copy it down, using it later to remind me there’s more to a character’s eyes than ‘she looked’ or ‘his blue eyes’.
Here’s my list of 65 (and growing):
A note: These are for inspiration only. They can’t be copied because they’ve been pulled directly from an author’s copyrighted manuscript (intellectual property is immediately copyrighted when published).
- Eyed me as though his bullshit meter was ticking in the red zone.
- He blinked as his eyes adjusted.
- an alertness in the eyes, behind the glasses that sat crookedly on the nose
- Cold gaze fixed on the anxious young man
- Cast a skeptical eye
- Sure, we know that, said Herrera, taking off his glasses to inspect the lenses.
To read the rest of these very helpful tips of how to describe eyes, head over to