Welcome to the Posts from Your Archives, where bloggers put their trust in me. In this series, I dive into a blogger’s archives and select four posts to share here to my audience.
If you would like to know how it works here is the original post: https://smorgasbordinvitation.wordpress.com/2019/04/28/smorgasbord-posts-from-your-archives-newseries-pot-luck-and-do-you-trust-me/
This is the second post from the archives of Laura M. Bailey who blogs on a number of subjects including history, family, horses, Southern lifestyle and cookery. I selected this post as we love frittata or quiche for breakfast… great recipe thank I know you will enjoy.
Barefoot In The kitchen: Breakfast For Dinner? 2018 by Laura M. Bailey
Am I weird? I love breakfast for dinner, whether it’s omelets, pancakes or basic fry up, it’s all good to me but today I’m doing it in more of a dinner style.
Real men do eat quiche! In fact, Clay loves my quiche and what’s not to love? It’s savory sausage, golden sauteed mushrooms, fresh spinach, rich cheese and delicate egg all tucked inside a flaky crust.
Sausage, Mushroom & Spinach Quiche
- ½ pound sausage
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup mushroom, chopped
- 4 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 1 premade pie crust, thawed
- 2 oz.. gruyere cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350˚F/180˚C.
- Cook sausage over medium-high until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes, being sure to break up the meat into a fine mince.
- Remove cooked sausage from pan and wipe away excess fat with a paper towel.
- Add onion and sauté until softened and translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add chopped spinach and cook until barely wilted and no extra liquid has accumulated in the bottom of the pan.
- Once cooked, remove the spinach and mushroom mixture from the pan and combine it with the sausage. Lightly whisk eggs and cream until just combined.
- Place pie crust into pie plate or tart pan. Prick the entire bottom with a fork for crispiness and to keep it from bubbling up.
- Add sausage and spinach mixture to the bottom of the prepared pie crust, making sure to spread it evenly. Top with cheese. Pour in beaten eggs to fill the rest of the pie crust.
- Bake at 350˚F/180˚C for 25 minutes or until the eggs are set and the top is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with a simple salad.
In keeping with my breakfast for dinner theme, dessert with a breakfast flare!
Donut Strawberry Shortcake
- Hull and slice a container of fresh strawberries. Sprinkle 1/4 c. of sugar over the top, stir a refrigerate for at least 30 min.
- Slice fresh, glazed donuts in half with a bread knife. Heat a skillet, brush lightly with butter and place donuts cut side down, toasting until golden brown.
- Arrange a donut slice in a bowl, top with strawberries then whipped cream and final donut slice.
©Laura M. Bailey 2018
Feast fit for a king.. .and queen..
About Laura M. Bailey
This blog is my attempt to write down the bones of a crazy, random, uncharted life and all the shoes I’ve worn along the way… From beach baby to city girl, wife. Mother, grandmother. Daughter, sister, coolest Aunt ever, construction worker, grease monkey, writer, poet, Publicity director, public speaker, tattoo studio owner and artist, crafter, cook, music promoter, race horse owner, breeder, Rancher and above all a flawed human profoundly in love with God. Within these stories I hope you’ll find the sorrows , joys, inspiration in ordinary places, sheer hilarity of life and all the common threads that connect us all.
Connect to Laura
My thanks to Laura for allowing me to share posts from her archives and I recommend that you head over to explore for yourselves.