We put a great deal of effort into promoting our new, recent and upcoming books but often our previous releases get sidelined.
In this latest series I am offering authors in the Cafe and Bookstore a chance to promote an earlier book (not your most recent) by sharing an excerpt from the book of 500 words. At the end of the post you can find out how to participate.
Today Leon Stevens is sharing some poems from his collection – Lines by Leon : Poems, Prose, and Pictures
About the collection
“A sweetly exotic collection filled with understanding, perception, melancholy, and hope…”
– The Prairies Book Review
Lines by Leon is a selection of poems, prose, and short stories that address the subjects of loss, struggle, and reflection. Inside these thoughtful contemplations are original observations about ego, behaviour, human relations, places, and the environment. Many of the pieces feature a lighthearted and even humorous take on a subject, and the author invites his readers to laugh, think, cry, and meditate on the wide variety of thoughts.
Scattered throughout the book are sketches of various subjects, many that relate to the poems and stories they illustrate; others speak for themselves.
Here are three poems from the collection
The sun feels warm on my back
An eight-minute connection
To a maelstrom
I cannot live without
Casting a shadow that is part of me
Following the contours of the earth
Try as it might
It can’t break free
You are a shadow
Always attached to me
The only escape is to jump high
Yet we always become connected
As I cannot hang onto the sky
I know that you are there
Your shadow betrays you
Confirming your existence
By an absence of light
One of the recent reviews for the collection on Goodreads
Stevens offers a glimpse into his visionary inner world in this beautiful collection of poems, prose, and short stories.
Demonstrating a sharp wit, he keenly observes how perception shapes one’s understanding of life in “On Sports” and “Life (What Really Matters)”. In “Humor,” “Silence,” and “My Response,” Stevens explores conviction and self-assurance in subtly beautiful ways.
“The Little Things” celebrate trivial, small moments that provide genuine happiness whereas “Daily Affirmation” explores insecurities and self-doubts. Most of the poems are constructed in very brief lines interjected by a more flowing digression, as in “A Shadow” where he writes: “You are a shadow / Always attached to me / The only escape is to jump high / Yet we always become connected / As I cannot hang onto the sky”.
The somber black and white chalk illustrations precisely reflect the collection’s solemn mood.
Documenting a lust for life, this short collection is a treat for poetry lovers.
Also by Leon Stevens
About Leon Stevens
Leon Stevens is a writer, composer, guitarist, songwriter, and an artist, with a Bachelor of Music and Education. He became a writer out of necessity. Along with song writing, poetry has allowed him to make sense and accept events and situations in his life. He published his first book of poetry: Lines by Leon – Poems, Prose, and Pictures in January 2020 and a book of original classical guitar compositions
Thanks very much for dropping in and I hope you will head over to check Leon’s books and blog out.. thanks Sally.
I hope you will participate in this series.. there are currently 130 authors on the shelves with reviews within the last six months and you can check your entry at this link – Cafe and Bookstore
How to participate in this series
In this latest series I am offering authors in the Cafe and Bookstore a chance to promote an earlier book (not your most recent) by sharing an excerpt from the book. Please check the link if it has been some time since you were promoted in the Cafe.
The aim of the series
- To showcase a previous book and sell some copies.
- Gain more recent reviews for the book.
- Promote a selection of other books that are available.
- Share an excerpt from the first book in a series to encourage readers to buy following books.
I will top and tail in the usual way with your other books and links, bio, photo and social media. I will also select a review that I feel has the best selling pitch for the book.
- This series is open to authors in the Cafe and Bookstore who have more than one book (as this already gets promoted on a regular basis) and have reviews for that book I can select from. Cafe and Bookstore
- I suggest an extract of 500 words or a poem that you feel best reflects the theme of your collection. This is a PG rated blog and there are younger readers so it would be great if you could bear that in mind.
- If you have an illustration or images you can attach to the email for me to include. No need to send the cover as I will have that or will access from Amazon.
- I will check reviews on Amazon sites as well as Goodreads and select one I feel is a great advertisement for the book.
- As an author in the Cafe and Bookstore I will already have all your details, links and covers of other books so need to send anything further.
- Please send your excerpt and any accompanying images to firstname.lastname@example.org
N.B..If you participated last year in the two series and would like to check which book you shared, please email and I will let you know.
Look forward to hearing from you.