Welcome to the round up of posts you might have missed this week on Smorgasbord.
I hope that wherever you are certain activities are getting back to normal.. We are partially open here in Ireland and next week as the hairdressers have had a few days back I will see if I can book an appointment… definitely in need of a tidy up.
We have enjoyed thunderstorms, gale force winds and torrential rain in the last few days which resulted in a power cut on Thursday.. the joys of living in the countryside. Looking at the forecast for the week ahead it seems that there might be some sunshine between 10-11 am on Tuesday.. I have booked my sunbed!
I would like to say a big thank you to author Emiliya Ahmadova who very kindly put two of my books through a site she uses and I love all the images.. Here are just two of my favourites. There are some really helpful and entertaining marketing aids available to take advantage of..
Before we get into the posts from the week… a note to let you know that after sharing the new authors I am going to be featuring every other author in the Cafe and Bookstore and the Children’s Reading room in Meet the Authors starting on Monday May 31st.
As an author and book promoter it does help me if all that I need to prepare a post is available in a central location. Most people these days sell their books through Amazon disheartening as that may seem. Like me they have an account set up and all they have to do is click buy and it is done.
If you are on other sites, many readers will be reluctant to set up another account which means giving out their credit card details and other information. Ensure your publisher will upload both Kindle and Print versions to Amazon. If not this is something you will need to do yourself.
Not having an Amazon author page makes life harder for someone to promote you and for readers to see all your books in one place. It is your own personal book shop and is therefore very important.
If you are a new author reading this, I do have a pdf Book Marketing and Blog Set Up available free and you can email me on firstname.lastname@example.org
Checklist to make sure you are being seen (and to make it easier for me to promote you in the upcoming Meet the Author series.)
- Is your bio on Amazon US, UK and Goodreads up to date? (if your bio is very long I will share the first paragraph or an extract..It is a good idea to do an executive summary in one paragraph at the beginning of your bio so a reader can get essential details about you and you can go into more detail after that if you wish. The average person will spend about a minute reading your bio before moving on to your books and you want to make that transition as easy and as quick as possible
- If you have published quite a few books listing them all may not get your readers attention, as all they will see is lots of titles. However,your biggest selling points are your covers which are all visible on the same page and will do the marketing for you.
- If you want to share more with your potential readers then add in the link to your ‘about’ page on your blog where you can share as much as you wish.
- Have you claimed all your books on your author pages?
- Is your profile photograph carried across all your book sites? Think about what your image says to potential readers and might you get a friend to take the photo and try a few out to find one that looks welcoming but professional. A high resolution image is best so that when in a smaller size it does not look blurred. I am not sure where the recent trend to have cartoon avatars has originated but I don’t believe that they are the best way to connect with your readers.
- I usually share the links for Amazon US, UK author page links (make sure your bio is up to date on both as well as your Amazon of origin), Goodreads and Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin. Most readers will usually only follow one or two of the most popular social media sites.
- I will check for new covers when I visit your Amazon pages and change any old ones in the cafe or reading room.
- I share up to 7 covers on the shelves and do alternate others in and out depending on recent reviews.
- In the Meet the Authors post I will share bio and photo, a selection of book covers and a recent review with all the buying links etc.
- I will send a link to all authors and tag on Facebook and Twitter and I really would appreciate it if featured authors share on their own social media and also interact with those who take the time to comment. You are your most effective book marketing asset as people buy people first. Interact and readers are more inclined to buy your books.
- If I feature three authors per post and everyone shares on their social media it will put those authors and their books in front of many more potential readers and this is really a collaborative series to encourage sales and also reviews.
- Just a reminder that authors in the Cafe and Bookstore are on the shelves with reviews that are from the last six months or who have a new book available within the last six months.
- I will be selecting authors in no particular order and not alphabetically.
- Between the Cafe and Bookstore and the Children’s Reading Room there are over 150 authors so it will take several weeks to feature everyone with three or four posts a week…but I will get around to everyone currently on the shelves I promise.
Now time to get on with the posts from the week and my thanks to William Price King (The Breakfast Show) D.G. Kaye who opened her archives of funnies to share with you and Malcolm Allen (Laughter Lines Extra) for their amazing contributions.
Thanks to you for sharing the posts on social media and taking the time to comment, it is always appreciated…
Thanks very much for dropping in today and I hope you have a wonderful weekend… see you next week I hope… Sally.