Welcome to the Friday Edition of Sally’s Cafe and Bookstore Update and the first author with news is Paulette Mahurin with her recent release The Day I Saw The Hummingbird.
About the book
On the eve of his tenth birthday, a young slave’s life is turned upside down. The unthinkable events that led up to the day Oscar Mercer saw a hummingbird test the limits of this young boy’s body, mind and soul. Gripped with fear and filled with anger, Oscar faces raw, crushing hatred aimed at him and everyone he loves. In a time when a nation was ripped apart geographically, economically, politically and morally, comes a story of a courageous boy who began life as a slave on a sugarcane plantation in Louisiana and escapes via The Underground Railroad.
Through the efforts and good will of kind, brave people determined to free slaves, Oscar faces devastating obstacles and dangers. Struggling with his inner impulse to seek revenge for the injustices and violence levied on his family and friends, he discovers that in bondage you pray to God, but in freedom, you meet Him.
From the award-winning, best-selling author of The Seven Year Dress comes a story that brings another cadre of memorable characters alive on pages that pulse with hatred and kindness, cruelty and compassion, despair and hope. Oscar’s journey on the Underground Railroad is a heart-pounding ride that the reader will remember long after this story ends.
One of the early reviews
‘The Day I Saw the Hummingbird’ could have easily slipped into a simple checklist of all of the abuses heaped upon a slave boy and his unlucky family, but chose instead to deliver a multi-faceted glimpse into the mind of a young boy who learns how to be human in an inhumane system. Oscar is born into slavery and raised by a compassionate, intelligent, and loving mother. At the mercy of a Godless and often drunken overseer who murders Oscar’s father early on, Oscar’s mother, instead of instilling hate in her son, inspires the hope that he will have a better life.
Against the backdrop of the Underground Railroad, the author skillfully weaves the lives of many characters, both black and white, who help Oscar escape to the North. Because of their many sacrifices and his own exceptional will to succeed, Oscar not only escapes, but also, in what I believe is the key message of the novel, learns to love life and himself.
This was a novel I will not forget for a long time, as it depicts not only the evils of slavery and racism, but the solidarity and compassion of friends and strangers who work for good. It is a journey for the reader that is highly recommended.
Read all of the reviews and buy the book: https://www.amazon.com/Day-Saw-Hummingbird-Novel-ebook/dp/B075QMKXQS
Read all the reviews and BUY the books: https://www.amazon.com/Paulette-Mahurin/e/B008MMDUGO/
And Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paulette-Mahurin/e/B008MMDUGO/
Profits from Paulette’s books go to help rescue dogs from kill shelters.
Read more reviews and follow Paulette on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5895757.Paulette_Mahurin
Connect to Paulette:https://thepersecutionofmildreddunlap.wordpress.com/
The next author with a new release is Steve Boseley with Serial: Some Things Don’t Die
Some things don’t die. A supernatural horror story.
STUART HARVEY ROGERS has an unfortunate addiction. He lives to kill. He’s very good at it, but he is in prison, and that has put an end to his addiction.
For the moment.
ALEX WRIGHT, a journalist fortunate enough to have full access to one of England’s modern-day serial killers, is hoping to tell the tale of his life. What is it that makes someone kill so many people? How does the mind of a serial killer work? These are the questions Alex hopes to answer. She’ll get her answers, just not in the way she expects.
Stuart has been in prison for two years, and now it’s time to get back to business.
WHAT’S BEING SAID ABOUT BOSELEY’S WRITING…
- “Boseley is a master of designing these perfectly horrid stories, and brings the reader into his mind.”
- “Truly horrifying dark , fast pace book . It is a great book!”
- “My attention was grabbed by the first paragraph, I had to read more.”
- “Too dark, perhaps, for some readers, as this is not a novella for the squeamish.”
- “My kind of stories that are well thought out and fantastic.“
Head over and buy the book: https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Supernatural-Killer-Story-ebook/dp/B0771Y88NM
Also by Steve Boseley
One of the reviews on Goodreads for The Island
Cheryl Earle rated it Four Stars on April 23rd 2017.
Well, what a creepy, spine tingling tale the author has offered us here! A short story, it reminds me very much of Stephen King’s early collected works of short stories in that it takes surprisingly normal characters, inserts them in unreal situations and then cranks up the tension and dread factor.
It was sort of like watching a teen horror movie unfold – there I was yelling at the page “Omg! What are you doing? Nooo …. don’t do that!” Lol.
A well written, entertaining read – I have already downloaded another of the author’s short stories and can’t wait to begin.
Read the reviews and buy the books: https://www.amazon.com/Steve-Boseley/e/B01DHXE01G
And Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Boseley/e/B01DHXE01G
Read more reviews and follow Steve Boseley on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7472465.Steve_Boseley
Connect to Steve via his website: http://www.authorsteveboseley.com
The final author today with a recent review is Charles E. Yallowitz for his book The Life and Times of Ichabod Brooks.
Enter the world of Windemere with 11 action adventure short stories featuring a man who is out to make an honest living.
Some heroes seek fame. Some seek fortune. Others simply want to save the world. Ichabod Brooks only wants to put food on the table for his family.
Known and respected as the man who can get any job done, Ichabod has seen his share of adventure. Most of which have been highly exaggerated by bards. Still, the man has his famous reputation for a reason. Whether it be climbing a temperamental mountain for eggs or escorting orphans to their new homes, Ichabod takes every job seriously and makes sure he is as prepared as he can be. Not that it helps since things always take a turn for the worse.
The most recent review on Goodreads
N.N. Light rated it Five Stars on September 12th 2017.
I’ve been a devout follower of the Legends of Windemere series so when I saw a spin-off of sorts, I knew I had to read it.
Ichabod Brooks is a man who’s a mercenary for hire and he’s always up for a new adventure. If you need a magical item or need some help rescuing orphans, Ichabod is your man. His wife handles the contracts and is the brain behind the business, which I loved. He’s just out having adventures and trying to play down his exploits. Oh, and he can bake, too. These are the stories along with a one sentence synopsis:
- Ichabod Brooks & the Starwind Egg – Every ten years, the birds lay starwind eggs and it’s up to Ichabod to snag one for his client but this time, his luck might just be up.
- Ichabod Brooks & the Phantom Archer – Ichabod is judging an archery contest but when the contestants get killed, Ichabod must take on the challenger for himself.
- Ichabod Brooks & the King of Nowhere – An emerging cult wants to unite the kingdoms under the banner of lawlessness and the only one who can save everyone is a man knows as the King of Nowhere.
- Ichabod Brooks & the Island of Mirrors – Waking up on an island of mirrors is disturbing enough but Ichabod must work together with an old enemy or wind up worse off than death. (My favorite story!)
- Ichabod Brooks & the Yellow Ogres – With the wife away, Ichabod is relishing in time spent alone but when a band of yellow ogres start stealing shamans, he must figure out how to stop them before his wife returns.
- Ichabod Brooks & the Resurrection Bowl – Of all the gin joints … Ichabod wishes he could pass on this adventure but he doesn’t have a choice so off he goes in search of an ancient artifact that can resurrect the dead.
- Ichabod Brooks & Toy Tower – Ichabod must defeat a tower of traps created by a crazy toymaker in order to receive the grand prize at the finish line but has his luck just run out?
- Ichabod Brooks & the Jester Flute – A bard has stolen a cursed flute and now Ichabod’s reality is anything but. (My second favorite story!)
- Ichabod Brooks & the Orphan’s Shadow – Hired to escort orphans to their new homes, Ichabod is caught off-guard when the orphans suddenly fall ill and death is right around the corner unless Ichabod can figure out what’s going on.
- Ichabod Brooks & Zaria’s Kiss – Ichabod and friends are on an adventure to recover the Purity Goddess’s relics from the sea but before they know it, something appears to s-s-strike them down.
- Ichabod Brooks & the Vixen of Errenshar – Olivia Thorne has been a seductive enemy, thwarting Ichabod’s every move but this time, she might have the upper hand.
If you’re looking for adventurous short stories with character depth, a solid plot and colorful dialogue, pick up The Life and Times of Ichabod Brooks today. Yallowitz’s writing style is quick-witted, full of adventurous fun and original. Highly recommend!
Favorite Character/Quote: “They also don’t have your wife making deals that you can’t say no to. She mentioned that you’re getting three times the usual pay because this baby is going to be prepared for Duke Solomon’s wedding. Personally, I’m looking forward to your wife’s cooking after this. Surprised your gut isn’t huge considering that woman can make a pot roast even the gods would praise. Did you happen to bring some of her dishes for the road?”
Read all the reviews and buy the book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073NR7XK
and on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073NR7XKC
A selection of the most recent books by Charles Yallowitz
Read all the reviews and buy the books: https://www.amazon.com/Charles E Yallowitz/e/B00AX1MSQA
and Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charles-E-Yallowitz/e/B00AX1MSQA
Read more reviews and follow Charles on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6965804.Charles_E_Yallowitz
Connect to Charles via his website: http://www.legendsofwindemere.com/
Thank you for dropping by today and I hope you will explore these authors and their books further. Thanks Sally